Kamal Haasan is an Indian film actor, director, producer, screenwriter, and politician. He is the country’s most popular and successful actor and has appeared in more than 200 movies in different languages. Kamal primarily worked in Tamil films, but he has also made his appearance in Telugu, Hindi, Malayalam, Kannada, and Bengali films.
He is popularly known as Universal Hero among the masses. Kamal is the recipient of several awards including the nation’s highest honors. He was awarded the Lifetime Achievement Award at the 15th Mumbai International Film Festival in 2013.
Social Media Stats
Full / Real Name
Actor, Director, Producer and Philanthropist
Date of Birth
7 November 1954
67 (as of 2021)
Paramakudi, Tamilnadu, India
University or College
Interest & Hobbies
Reading & working for unprivileged
Also Read AboutDilip Kumar
Morphology of Kamal Haasan
Personal Life of Kamal Haasan
Kamal Haasan was born on 7 November 1954 in a Tamil Iyengar family, to D. Srinivasan and Rajalakshmi Srinivasan. His father was a criminal defense lawyer and freedom fighter, and his mother was a housewife. At the time of his birth, Kamal was named Parthasarathy. His father later changed his name to Kamal Haasan. His brothers Charuhasan and Chandrahasan have also acted, and his sister Nalini is a classical dancer. He received his primary education in Paramakudi before moving to Chennai. Kamal continued his education in Santhome, Chennai, and was attracted to film and fine arts as encouraged by his father.
Gautami (2004 – 2016)
Relationships and Affairs
Hassan married Vani Ganapathy in 1978 who was a dancer, they both divorced in 1988. Then, Kamal married actress Sarika Thakur in 1988 with whom he has 2 daughters named Shruti Hassan and Akshara Haasan. Kamal parted ways with Sarika in 2004. After that Kamal is rumored to have been in a relationship with actress Gautami from 2004 to 2016.
Career Path of Kamal Haasan
Career as an Actor
Kamal was enthralled by the movie world since his childhood, and he started his career as a child artist. He appeared in “Kalathur Kannamma” only at the age of 6. Then in 1962, Kamal made his Malayalam debut with the movie “Kannum Karalum”. Then he returned to the industry after completing his education as a dance assistant. Kamal made his first appearance as an adult in the movie Maanavan in which he appeared in a dance sequence. In 1973, Kamal debuted playing a supporting role in the film “Arangetram”.
Kamal’s first movie as a lead was “Kanya Kumari” in 1974. In 1975, “Apoorva Raagangal” gave Kamal both critical and commercial success and proved his matte as an actor in the South Film Industry.
Kamal made his Bollywood debut with the film “Ek Duje Ke Liye” in 1981 opposite Rati Agnihotri. This movie was a remake of his own 1978 film “Maro Charitra”. After this Kamal went on to star in over 200 films in different languages
Career as a Producer
Kamal founded his production company “Raj Kamal films International” in 1981. The first movie under this was “Raja Paarvai” which was released in 1981. He produced several movies under his production house.
Career as a Director
Kamal made his debut as a director with the 1997 film “Chachi 420” which was a remake of his own film “Avvai Shanmughi” (1996).
Kamal launched his political party “Makkal Needhi Mariam” (Centre for People’s Justice) on 21 February 2018. His party was contested for the first time in the 2019 Lok Sabha elections.
Controversies about Kamal Haasan
- His film ‘Hey Ram’ faced protest from political parties as they considered that the film portrayed Mahatma Gandhi negatively.
- He was forced to change the name of his film ‘Sandiyar to Virumandi’ in 2004 after Pudhiya Tamizhagam’s political party said that the film title could create caste-related violence.
- In 2013, he was threatened to leave Tamil Nadu, after his film ‘Viswaroopam’ was opposed by ‘Hindu Makkal Katchi’ (a political party), Theatre Owners’ Association, and Muslim groups due to various reasons.
- In July 2017, the ‘Hindu Makkal Katchi’ filed a complaint against Kamal Haasan for tarnishing Tamil culture by hosting Boss Tamil 1.
Favorite and Beloved Things
Nagesh, Shivaji Ganesan, M.G. Ramachandran and Rajesh Khanna
Sridevi and Sri Priya
Bicycle Thief, Mughal-e-Azam and Sholay
Favorite Sports Person
Naushad and Ilayaraja
Facts About Kamal Haasan
- Kamal Haasan is the only actor to win 18 Filmfare awards (2 Hindi and 16 Filmfare south awards).
- Hassan appeared in a silent film in 1987 “Pushpaka Vimana”.
- Kamal has suffered over 30 fractures in his entire career.
- Director Mani Ratnam is Kamal’s relative as his niece, Suhasini is married to Mani.
- He is the only actor whose seven films have made entry to Oscar.
- Hassan was reportedly offered Rs.100 crore to join a political party but he declined the offer.
- He is the only actor who has given five hit films in a year (1982).
- He is the first Indian actor to get a salary of 1 crore in 1984.
- On 15 August 2002, Kamal signed a declaration that after his death his organs can be donated to the Anatomy Department of Madras Medical College.